The fabric was $4/ yard. The lining was $2/ yard at Walmart. The tabs were FREE. I bought some new black pillows and they were sold as a set wrapped in a ribbon. I sewed the ribbons behind the drapes to have a back tab style. You can find them from $50 -$90 per panel as a solid color. I calculate a savings of 50%-72% by making them myself.
Don't worry you can't make drapes. I didn't have a pattern and just took it one step at a time.
- Measure your window - take into account how high you want to hang your rod and how thick you want your bottom hem
- Cut your fabric into two identical lengths. If you have patterned fabric, make sure the pattern is going the same direction.
- Pin the lining inside the back of the fabric- this way you finish the edges of the curtains and line them at the same time.
- Only sew the top and sides of the fabric. Allow the bottom to stay unfinished.
- Hang the drapes on the rod and hem them to the exact height you want them from the floor. I think this is the easiest because I hate measuring. Seeing it exactly the want I want it confirms the last bit of sewing will be the last bit of sewing. I don't like resewing something to make it longer or shorter.
- Hang the FINISHED drapes.