Monday, May 31, 2010

DIY Drapes

I was originally going to make a slip cover for a chair with this fabric. I found it on a huge discount from Hancock Fabrics. Can I just say, I find the best deals there. The back of the store has remnant pieces. I can usually get 3-6 yard pieces for $3-$7/ yard. These lined drapes cost me only $42.
The fabric was $4/ yard. The lining was $2/ yard at Walmart. The tabs were FREE. I bought some new black pillows and they were sold as a set wrapped in a ribbon. I sewed the ribbons behind the drapes to have a back tab style. You can find them from $50 -$90 per panel as a solid color. I calculate a savings of 50%-72% by making them myself.
Don't worry you can't make drapes. I didn't have a pattern and just took it one step at a time.
  1. Measure your window - take into account how high you want to hang your rod and how thick you want your bottom hem
  2. Cut your fabric into two identical lengths. If you have patterned fabric, make sure the pattern is going the same direction.
  3. Pin the lining inside the back of the fabric- this way you finish the edges of the curtains and line them at the same time.
  4. Only sew the top and sides of the fabric. Allow the bottom to stay unfinished.
  5. Hang the drapes on the rod and hem them to the exact height you want them from the floor. I think this is the easiest because I hate measuring. Seeing it exactly the want I want it confirms the last bit of sewing will be the last bit of sewing. I don't like resewing something to make it longer or shorter.
  6. Hang the FINISHED drapes.
Did you notice this is the same fabric from the lampshade?

No comments:

Post a Comment