Sunday, October 17, 2010

Fall = Dutch Apple Pie and Caramel Sauce

This week is my husband's birthday. I asked him what he wanted for a birthday cake. After pondering this question for a few hours he landed on Apple Pie-- my how our taste buds change as we age... last year he wanted a McDonald's Cake. I love a good dutch apple pie. I love the topping and pie crust-- it's like the best of apple pie and apple crisp all in one dessert. My aunt shared a secret to a great apple pie when I was a teenager. She told me she cuts her apples and prepares the filling (with lemon juice so they don't turn brown) the day before she bakes the pie. It really lets all the flavors come together. I try to marinate the apples overnight if I have time. Last night I was putting the apples together... side note: if you don't have an apple peeler/corer you have to get one. It's an amazing invention and saves hours of peeling. It also helps us perfectionists get exactly the apple cut the same thickness. I sell them with Pampered Chef, but before I was a consultant I had a Cuisinart one and the suctioned bottom wouldn't stay in place all the time. Well this is what I made today. Sorry, it's not my photo, I was too lazy to take pictures and the kitchen is a disaster area. We're having the cabinets painted!!! Well back to the story about marinading the apples. When you fill the pie with the apples you notice there is a TON of juice left in the bottom of the bowl. I wanted to use the reserved liquid and quickly thought about a caramel sauce. I scoured the Internet for a recipe I could use to make caramel sauce with the liquid. I think I searched apple caramel sauce... I found something at the Better Homes and Gardens Website. Caramel Sauce

Ingredients

  • 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch
  • 1/4 cup apple cider or apple juice (marinade from apples)
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1 egg yolk

Directions

1. For the Caramel Sauce, in a small saucepan combine the brown sugar and 1 tablespoon cornstarch. Add 1/4 cup apple cider or apple juice and butter. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Remove from heat. In a small bowl beat 1 egg yolk; gradually stir in 1/2 cup of the hot brown sugar mixture. Add the egg mixture to the saucepan. Cook and stir until bubbly; reduce heat. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Remove from heat; cover and cool. Use 1/2 cup of the Caramel Sauce for the Caramel Cream Filling. If necessary, thin the remaining Caramel Sauce with 1 to 2 teaspoons apple cider or apple juice to make a topping of drizzling consistency. Makes 3/4 cup.

2. For Caramel Cream Filling, in a bowl beat 1, 8-ounce cream cheese until fluffy. Gradually beat in 1/2 cup of the Caramel Sauce.

Did you notice the caramel cream filling... OHHHH YUMMMM!!! I'm gonna have to think of how I can use caramel cream somewhere. I was thinking on pumpkin bars, spice cake or even a chocolate layer cake? Maybe in between 2 oatmeal cookies?? I'm getting a little carried away. I was happy to find a recipe where I could use the reserved liquid from the apples- waste not, want not. Now on to eating the PIE... with caramel drizzled on top :)

No comments:

Post a Comment