Tuesday, September 22, 2009

That's a spicy meatball!! Not really...but they are good!

So this past weekend I was home visiting family and having a pampered chef party for a friend in Forest Park. One of the ideas I picked up along the way was a new twist on meatballs. I got the idea from my grandma. She has tea with some older ladies from church at a retirement home. This is no ordinary retirement community - it's pretty nice. Anyway, there's always a different array of food. One of the selections that stood out to my grandma was spinach stuffed meatballs (they served them with a side of alfredo sauce).
I don't profess to be an amazing cook, but I'll try anything at least once. Since I didn't have a recipe I used what I had at home and came up with the most delicious meatballs.
1 lb of Italian Sausage
1 egg
1/3 cup bread crumbs
1 clove of garlic
1/3 cup of ricotta cheese
Parmesan cheese
Italian seasoning
Mush all the ingredients above together. Then take fresh spinach and roll into small balls. Just pack the sausage around it. The meatballs come out quite large. I think it only made 7-8 meatballs. I put them in the skillet to brown them on all sides and then put them in the oven for about 10 minutes at 400 degrees.
They were delicious!! The spinach was cooked just right and it had some great flavor from the fat in the sausage!! I served them over just plain old spaghetti. I'm not a leftover lover, but I was good with having these two nights in a row.
Now I need to make a bunch and freeze them so I can take a few out at a time to use in spaghetti. I have also used cooked meatballs in lasagna... well broken them up and crumbled them as a layer. Oh the possibilities!

No comments:

Post a Comment