Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Pot Pie Dinner and Power Outage

I had a craving for a homemade (semi-homemade) pot pie. A friend of mine used to make them for me, but now she lives in Iowa and I don't think they'll mail well. I had to do some research earlier this week to figure it out on my own. I was able to make one tonight before the power went out. I think it turned out pretty well (I combined a bunch of different recipes).
This is what I did:
1. Store bought pie crust (who has time for homemade on a weeknight?) Baked the bottom crust for 10 minutes before filling.

2. Cooked 2 chicken breasts in 1/2 onion and clove of garlic and used the "mix 'n chop" from pampered chef. If you don't have one you need to order one :)

3. Melted a half stick of butter and whisked in 1/2 cup of flour with salt and pepper. It turned into a thick paste. To thin it out I used a cup of fat free half and half. Then I added a can of reduced fat cream of chicken.

4. I steamed broccoli (I don't really like peas) and carrots in my "Large Steamer" also a favorite of mine. I put chicken seasoning over them when they steamed for more flavor.

5. I combined the chicken/ gravy mixture and veggies (I also added some left over risotto) and poured it into the crust. Topped it with the remaining crust and baked it for 20 minutes.

Like I said, the power went out, but only after I enjoyed my semi-homemade pot pie!

No comments:

Post a Comment